Thursday, May 29, 2008

Time is Mean



As I drive the I-15 corridor every day I listen to KSL. Lately they've been reminding us of the onslaught of teens graduating from high school. It takes me back to my own graduation from Cedar High and there are a lot of memories. I remember that it wasn't about getting out into the 'real world', it was about the SENIOR TRIP!!! Being a graduate of 1976, we were honored with being a part of the Bicentennial. Our trip had started out dreaming of going to Philadelphia, DC, NYC. It was going to be the event of the year. We were all stoked, as I recall. In the end we settled with Disneyland and the beach. We couldn't care less about walking through the "C" (all of my siblings did the same). It was the coolest thing, but I don't remember if they ever changed the material that draped the monstrous letter. There I was in my gold grad outfit, smiling like a dork. I look at that picture and I don't even know what I was thinking at that moment.....at that juncture of my life. What was going to be the pivotal moment when I became an adult? I was registered to attend SUSC(SUU) for fall. I had a great schedule with music all day long. Also a bit of spanish, phys ed, and one of Ada's child development classes. But what did I want to be? A mom? teacher? professional singer? NO CLUE.
I think back to my children's graduations, well, at least I got to see one of my children walk the walk and receive a diploma from the hand of an educator. Adam was this close to his walk, but with an eighth of a credit shy there was NO way that the school admin would allow it. "If we doing it for Adam, we'll have to do it for all of the others." Ok? I didn't see the big problem. He took it a lot better than I did. Adrian continues to march to his own beat. I'm going to brag, but my kids are intelligent! Kate's graduation was a love fest. It was unbelievable! The cheering, applause, screams, kat-calls and whistles that she got when her name was announced was crazy stupid. She was/is the most popular and kindest girl in that school. Everyone was her friend, any class, teacher no matter, she was their friend.
Don't get me wrong, all of my children make me very proud. It doesn't matter what they've achieved in this life, as long as they're happy and doing what they love, that's good enough for me. I just wish that I would have had a plan back then. I had no plan! I was in la la land.
Time is mean. I guess that looking backwards is going the wrong way and it's time to turn around and look to the future.

3 comments:

Shawn and Mish said...

Hello pretty lady! It is great to bump into you! It's me, Michelle Struthers :) I have been out of UT for 4 1/2 years, and I feel like it's been ages since I saw you, so I was pleasantly surprised to find your blog from Chelsey's. Gotta go, but I will come back later!

adam said...

Yeah, it didn't bother me so much.

adam said...

I have to admit that I think time is mean too, but more from that waiting around for this baby to come end of it....

Anyway, mostly I just wanted to say how much I love you and how excited I am for you to meet your granddaughter.

I love you Mom!!!!!!!!!

Practicing 2 b a g ma

Practicing 2 b a g ma
Nana Di and g-nephew Ty